Find a Dermatologist with our useful guide on how to find a Dermatologist.
If you have been referred by your GP or Specialist to a Dermatologist, or if are suffering from a medical condition affecting your skin, hair, scalp or nails, you will need to find a Dermatologist. If you do not know how to find a Dermatologist here are some tips.
- Ask your GP. Your GP or Specialist will have referred patients to a number of Dermatologists in the past and can tell you which Dermatologists they have found have expertise to treat your condition, and which Dermatologists offer a high quality of care.
- Ask your private health insurer. Most UK private health insurers have a directory of Dermatologists by expertise and can advise on Dermatologists that practice close to where you live or work.
- Search online to find a Dermatologist. Alternatively you can search online to find a Consultant Dermatologist who may practice near where you work or live, or who has specialists in treating your condition. There may also be online reviews you can read.
After you have found a Dermatologist, there are a couple of steps you can take to be confident you have found a Dermatologist that is suitably qualified and experienced.
- Check that the Dermatologist is registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) on their specialist register for Dermatology. To check go to the GMC site, select ‘check a doctor’s registration status’ and make sure that the status includes ‘this doctor is on the Specialist Register’. This means that the GMC feels that the training of this Doctor meets their requirements for Dermatology, no matter where they have trained in the UK, or overseas.
- Check if the Dermatologist has a substantive NHS post. The NHS only appoints Dermatologists to a substantive NHS post, if they have had an appropriate level of training. If they have not met this level they may be called a Locum, but not a Consultant Dermatologist.
- Check that the Dermatologist is recognised by all UK private health insurers, including AXAPPP and BUPA. Private health insurers, will only ‘recognise’ Dermatologists through a formal application process which ensures that certain standards are met.
All of the Dermatologist at The London Skin and Hair Clinic are (i) on the GMC specialist register for Dermatology, (ii) have substantive NHS posts, and (iii) are recognised by all UK private health insurers. You can read the profiles on the Dermatologists here.
To book a Dermatology consultation call us today on 020 7183 4565 or use our online form.