Dr Jonathan Gibbins is a Chartered Senior Clinical Psychologist who works with patients and their families to help improve adjustment to conditions and to help people manage their health issues. Dr Jonathan Gibbins takes an integrative approach to help tailor the therapy to the needs of the patient. The main approaches are Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Systemic family therapy, and Narrative therapy. He is also a trained EMDR Therapist.
Dermatology conditions affecting the skin, including permanent hair loss, can have a massive impact on the quality of life of a patient and their family. The conditions can negatively impact on self-esteem, socialising, relationships and day to day functioning. Dr Gibbins works closely with the Dermatologists at The London Skin and Hair Clinic to
provide an integrated service.
Dr Jonathan Gibbins holds an NHS position with the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital.
Dr Jonathan Gibbins has been building his successful private practice in Clinical Psychology since October 2015, helping children, young people, adults and parents with a variety of health, appearance, trauma and anxiety related conditions.
Dr Jonathan Gibbins holds an NHS position with the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where he has been working as a Senior Clinical Psychologist since June 2014, providing psychological support to general paediatrics, as well as specialising in the Gastroenterology and Burns services.
His previous qualified role in the NHS was as a Specialist Clinical Psychologist at Great Ormond Street Hospital from October 2011 to June 2014, where he specialised in the paediatric psychology service for Gastroenterology and Urology.
Areas of expertise include:
- Specialist interest in gastroenterology, visible differences, burns, trauma and urology
- Adjusting to conditions
- Adherence to medication/ diet /lifestyle changes
- Managing acute and chronic pain
- Procedural anxiety and needle phobia
- Anxiety, phobias, panic attacks and social anxiety
- Anger management
- Appearance related concerns
- Self-esteem related concerns
Dr Jonathan Gibbins works closely with the Dermatologists at The London Skin and Hair Clinic supporting patients with hair loss and scalp conditions and dermatology conditions affecting their skin, hair, scalp, nails and genitals.
Contact the clinic directly for Dr Gibbins availability and current schedule.
New patient consultations are one hour and a half.
Follow-up appointments are one hour.
All fees are payable on the day of the appointment and an itemised invoice can be provided.
Dr Jonathan Gibbins is a member of the following professional organisations:
- Chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS – membership no. 238386).
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC – Practitioner Psychologist, registration no. PYL27122).
- Committee member of the Paediatric Psychology Network (PPN).
- Chair of the Special Interest Group for paediatric psychologists working in paediatric gastroenterology.
- Member of the Faculty for Children, Young People & their Families (CYPF). This is a Member Network of the British Psychological Society’s Division of Clinical Psychology.
Education and Training
Dr Jonathan Gibbins obtained his Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (D.Clin.Psych) from Oxford University in 2011 and spent 18 months of the 3-year course working in paediatric psychology at the John Radcliffe Hospital, where he worked in general paediatrics, Oncology, and spent a year specialising in and setting up the paediatric psychology service in gastroenterology.
Dr Gibbins previously obtained a First Class degree in Psychology (BSc, Hons.) from Exeter University in 2006.
Dr Gibbins has continued his professional training and development to broaden his skills and expertise including:
- EMDR stages 1, 2 and 3 completed 2016-2017 with the EMDR Academy
- Foundation Course in Family Therapy and Systemic Practice obtained at Great Ormond Street Hospital via the Association for Family Therapy
- Level one in Narrative Therapy obtained from the Institute of Narrative Therapy
Publications and Press
Publications include the following
Gibbins J, Steinhardt K, Beinart H. (2012). A systematic review of qualitative studies exploring the experience of parents whose child is diagnosed and treated for cancer. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing, 29(5), 253-71. doi:10.1177/1043454212452791