Consultant Dermatologist Dr Andrew Lock
BMedSci (neuroscience) MBBS BMedSci MRCP (Derm)
Dr Andrew Lock is a UK trained Consultant Dermatologist in Adult and Paediatric dermatology. He completed a Medical Science degree at the University of Birmingham and then went on to complete his medical degree at the University of Nottingham. He completed his dermatology specialist training in London and was awarded CCT (Dermatology).
He currently works as a substantive Dermatology Consultant at the Homerton Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, where he is a core member of the skin cancer multidisciplinary team and Lead for Teledermatology.
Dr Lock is a medical dermatologist and will see adults and children with a range of dermatology conditions including but not limited to changing/atypical moles (mole checks), eczema, urticaria (hives), psoriasis, acne, rosacea, warts and hyperhidrosis. He is experienced in dermatological surgery including mole removal, skin biopsies and cyst excision.
Why See Dr Andrew Lock
Dr Lock is a friendly, patient and approachable consultant. He is considerate in his patient centered approach and ensures that his diagnosis and treatment plans are communicated clearly.
Dr Lock is is experienced in cutaneous surgical procedures, including mole removal by excision or shave, curettage and cautery, cyst removal, keloid injection, cryotherapy (freezing) and biopsy of rashes. He is a general Medical dermatologist and is confident seeing adults and children with a wide range of conditions including eczema, psoriasis, acne, rosacea and hyperhidrosis.
Dr Lock also specialises in the examination and dermoscopy (skin surface microscopy) of skin lesions and moles, and general mole checks. His skills and knowledge are kept up to date through his NHS work, including as a skin cancer MDT core member.
He has a passion for teaching and is actively involved with the teaching and training of Medical students, junior doctors, registrars and dermatology specialist nurses.
At a Glance
Mondays: 9:30am to 12:30noon
Dr Andrew Lock is recognised by all major UK private health insurers.
Dr Andrew Lock is registered with the GMC and on the specialist register for Dermatology. He is a member of the British Association of Dermatologists, Royal College of Physicians and International Dermoscopy Society. Dr Lock is recognised by all main UK private health insurers.
Education and Training
After graduating from the University of Nottingham Medical school, Dr Lock went on to complete core Medical training in Bath, Somerset and subsequent specialist dermatology training at several Teaching hospitals in Portsmouth and London, including the Royal Free Hospital, Royal London Hospitals and Homerton Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust where he is currently a substantive consultant. Dr Lock was awarded CCT (Dermatology) by the General Medical Council. Dr Lock has a strong science background, having also completed a Medical science degree at the University of Birmingham.
Dr Andrew Lock’s Publications Include:
Dr Andrew Lock is widely published and some examples include:
- Lock AD, Deroide F, Rustin MH, Jolliffe V. Unusual skin changes on the neck. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. 2017 Jan 1 42(3):351-353.
- Sommerlad M, Lock A, Moir G, McGregor J, Bull R, Cerio R, Harwood C. Linear porokeratosis with multiple squamous cell carcinomas successfully treated by electrochemotherapy. British Journal of Dermatology. 2016 Dec 1;175(6):1342-5.
- Mokbel R, Van Der Velde V, McGregor J, Lock A, Harwood C, Ameen M. The diverse spectrum of cutaneous cryptococcus infections after solid organ transplantation, British Journal of Dermatology. 2016 Jul 1; 175:155-6.
- Krupiczojc M, Lock A, Milligan A, Aguilar S, Swale V. Additional diagnoses in the rapid-access clinic: the benefits of full-skin examination. British Journal of Dermatology. 2015 Jul, 1;173:55.
- Rajpopat M, Lock A, Denton C, Sarkany R, Child F, Orteu C. Recalcitrant etanercept-induced scleroderma treated with mycophenolate mofetil, UVA-1 and total skin electron beam therapy. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2015 May 1;72(5):AB71.
- Lock AD, McNamara CJ, Rustin MH. Sustained improvement in urticaria pigmentosa and pruritus in a case of indolent systemic mastocytosis treated with cladribine. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. 2015 Mar 1;40(2):142-5.
- Lock A, Wijesuriya N, Cerio R. Thick melanomas: a persistent problem. British Journal of Dermatology. 2014 Sep 1;171(3):e33.
- Lock A, McGregor J, Harwood C. Squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory meatus in an organ transplant recipient: management dilemmas in high-risk tumours. British Journal of Dermatology 2014 Jul 1;171:107-8.
Dr Andrew Lock has been quoted in the press and some examples include: