Dr Mia Jing Gao MBBS MA (Cantab) MRCP is a is a UK trained Consultant Dermatologist who is experienced in treating all skin conditions in adults and children. She studied medicine at University of Cambridge achieving a Masters in Physiology and Development. She studied clinical medicine at University College London and graduated with distinction amongst numerous other prizes. Her interest in skin was developed during rigorous medical training at prestigious London teaching hospitals. She ranked second nationally for competitive entry to dermatology specialist training and completed her dermatology training at expert centres including the Royal Free and Royal London Hospitals. Dr Mia is an NHS consultant at the renowned Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust where she treats a range of dermatological conditions.
Dr Mia’s main areas of specialist interest include hair conditions, early detection of skin cancer and skin surgery, acne, and rosacea. She currently runs a specialist hair clinic at Charing Cross Hospital managing complex patients experiencing hair loss and scalp conditions. She also leads a specialist psoriasis clinic using advanced medical therapies including biologics to treat severe psoriasis. She is experienced in dermatological surgery and removal of skin lesions for optimal cosmetic results.
Why you should see Dr Mia
Dr Mia uses a holistic and personalised approach for all her patients. She believes everyone can have gorgeous skin through evidenced-based medical therapies and a tailored skin care regimen. Her friendly demeanour and smile will put you at ease immediately. She is used to seeing patients from all ethnic and cultural backgrounds. She speaks fluent Mandarin. She understands that skin and hair conditions have a huge impact on psychological wellbeing and ensures every patient leaves her consultation with restored confidence and effective bespoke medical therapies.
Dr Mia has undertaken numerous research projects in fields such as contact allergy, skin cancer and hair conditions. She has presented her work nationally and internationally, authored a chapter in a dermatology textbook and continues to publish her work in medical journals. She believes in bringing scientific excellence to her clinical work to achieve the best results.
Dr Mia Jing Gao is a hair loss expert who specialises in hair and scalp conditions including male pattern baldness, female hair loss, alopecia, alopecia areata, androgenetic alopecia, scarring alopecia and Lichen planopilaris. Dr Gao uses clinical hair photography for diagnosis and monitoring of treatment.
Dr Mia is experienced in treating skin cancer and melanoma (including early detection and prevention). She performs full skin assessments and mole checks to diagnose malignant lesions and skin cancer. As an experienced dermatology surgeon Dr Mia Jing Gao can perform cryotherapy, skin biopsies, cautery and curettage and photodynamic therapy (PDT) which is suitable for some times of skin cancers.
Dr Mia also consults on all General Dermatology including the diagnosis and treatment of acne, rosacea, psoriasis and eczema.
Conditions and Treatments
- General dermatology
- Acne and rosacea
- Inflammatory skin disease (for example, eczema, psoriasis, acne)
- Skin lesion diagnosis and removal
- Skin cancer
Tuesdays 9am to 1pm
Wednesdays 9am to 1pm
Book an appointment with Dr Mia Jing Gao here.
Dr Mia Jing Gao acccepts self-paying patients only. If you have private health insurance you will need to pay the self pay price and will not be able to claim back from your insurer. If you wish to use private health insurance please speak to our team who will recommend an alternative Dermatologist for you.
Dr Mia Jing Gao is registered with the GMC and on the specialist register for Dermatology. She is a member of the following professional bodies: British Association of Dermatologists, Royal Society of Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, UK Dermatology clinical trials network (UKDCTN), St John’s Dermatological Society, British Society of Dermatological Surgery (BSDS).
Education and Training
Dr Mia Jing Gao education and training:
- University of Cambridge
- University College London
- Royal Free Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal London Hospital, Barts Health NHS Trust
- King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Homerton University Hospital
She regularly attends conferences to keep up to date both in the UK and Internationally.
Publications and Press
Dr Mia Jing Gao is well published and some examples include the following publications:
- J Gao, M Rustin “Follicular Mucinosis” in M Lebwohl, W Heyman, J Berth- Jones, I Coulson (eds). Treatment of Skin Disease: Comprehensive Therapeutic Strategies. Sixth Edition. Elsevier Health Sciences 2021
- J Gao, R Goiriz, S Rajpopat, P Goldsmith. Occupational dermatoses during the second COVID-19 pandemic wave: a UK prospective study of 805 healthcare workers. British Journal of Dermatology. 2021. PMID: 34608626
- J Gao, J Garioch, M Fadhil, E Tan, S Shah, M Moncrief. Planning slow Mohs excision margins for lentigo maligna: a retrospective non-randomised cohort study comparing reflectance confocal microscopy margin mapping versus visual inspection with dermoscopy. British Journal of Dermatology. 2020 Dec 29. PMID: 33377177.
- I Noorani, J Gao, BC Pearson, RH Carpenter. Predicting the timing of wrong decisions with LATER. Experimental Brain Research. 2011. PMID: 21336830.
- A Spring, D Griffiths, D Nirmal, J Gao, N Marrouche, A Skellett. Identification and management of vulval problems of the postmenopausal woman – Tips and tricks. Post Reprod Health. 2020 Sep;26(3):155-161. PMID: 32997591
- P Goldsmith, J Gao, S Rajpopat, R Goiriz. Rapid Response: Mask related acne (“maskne”) – A big issue in Health Care Workers and those with pigmented skins. BMJ. 2021;373:n1304 PMID: 34230028
- J Gao, A Mahto. Anti-Androgen Therapy in Female Adult Acne. J Dermatol Res Ther. 2016 2:023.10.23937/2469-5750/1510023