Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran MBBS, MSc MRCP (UK) (Derm) is a Consultant in Dermatology at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals as well as also being accredited in the UK as a Consultant in Internal Medicine. She treats all aspects of dermatology in adults and children.
Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran’s interests include: Moles, skin cancer, acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis and atopic dermatitis.
Dr Aguilar-Duran is an experienced surgeon and carries out biopsies, removal of moles or skin tags, steroid injections for hair loss or keloid scars and uses cryotherapy.
Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran is the skin cancer lead at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals and lead of the regional skin cancer multidisciplinary team. Dr Aguilar-Duran is actively involved in teaching Dermatology trainees and students at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals.
Why you should see Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran
Originally from Barcelona, Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran has an emphatic approach to patients. Having suffered from severe acne as a teenager as well as psoriasis, Dr Aguilar-Duran is very conscious of the social and medical impact of having skin problems. Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran trained and qualified in Dermatology at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh where she specialised in reviewing moles (monitoring or careful removal, if necessary) and general skin conditions. Additionally Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran has a special interest in skin cancer having completed a fellowship in skin oncology at the prestigious St John’s Institute of Dermatology in London.
Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran’s training has given her a very efficient patient-led approach. Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran regularly runs a Paediatric Dermatology clinic as part of her NHS work. As a mother of two young children with eczema this gives her a good understanding of the worries parents might have managing their little ones skin.
Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran is also a consultant in Internal Medicine which gives her a very holistic approach to Medicine, beyond the skin.
Although Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran works in English, she is fluent in Spanish and Catalan, so would be happy to consult in these languages for patients where English is not their first language.
Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran treats all aspects of dermatology in adults and children. Her interests include: Moles, skin cancer, acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. She is an experienced surgeon and carries out biopsies, removal of moles or skin tags, steroid injections for hair loss or keloid scars and uses cryotherapy.
Fridays 2pm to 5pm
Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran is registered with the GMC and on the specialist register for Dermatology. Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran is recognised by all major UK insurers and many international insurers. She is a Member of the Royal College of Physicians(MRCP), British Association of Dermatologists (BAD), European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV) and the European Society for Pediatric Dermatology (ESPD).
Education and Training
Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran completed her training in Internal Medicine in Barcelona and a postgraduate course in International Health and Topical medicine in Spain. Dr Aguilar-Duran moved to the UK and re-trained as a Consultant in Dermatology at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. Dr Aguilar-Duran undertook a prestigious fellowship in skin cancer (oncology) at the internationally renowned St John’s Institute of Dermatology in London and has also recently completed a Masters in Research Methodology.
Publications and Press
Dr Silvia Aguilar-Duran is well published and examples of her publications include the following:
- Aguilar-Duran S., Panthagani AP., Naysmith L., Holme SA. Incidence and risk factors of blood splatter in dermatological surgery: how protective are full facial masks? BJD. 2017;176(1):275-277.
- Aguilar-Duran S, Ahmed A, Taylor R, Bewley A. How to set up a psychodermatology unit. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2014;39(5):577-82.
- Dignan F, Aguilar S, Scarisbrick JJ, Shaw BE, Potter MN, Cavenagh J, Apperley JF, Fielding AK, Pagliuca A, Raj K, Marks DI, Peniket A, Crawley C, Koh MB, Child FJ. Impact of Extracorporeal Photopheresis on Skin Scores and Quality of Life in Patients with Steroid-refractory Chronic Graft-versus-Host disease. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2014;49(5):704-8.
- Aguilar-Duran S, Deroide F, Mee J, Rustin M. Pemphigus vulgaris presenting as erythema annulare centrifugum.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2015;40(4):466-7.
- Aguilar-Duran S., Kartalova Y., Mizara A, McBride S. Retrospective descriptive study of patients with psoriasis referred to a psychology-based psychodermatology service. BJD. 2015;173 (Suppl.1):200-208